Monday, September 12, 2011

Catch up: all about Scotland

I'm far behind on telling you about what we've been up to. I have time today so I'm going to try to catch up. I hope I can keep it all straight!

We made it to Scotland and took the super efficient air link bus to our hostel. The Caledonia backpackers was the hostel I was most unsure about and it turned out to be the very most fantastic. It was big and beautiful. The desk people were helpful and friendly. There was strong wifi in our room and a million computers all around. We headed out to get some food and afterward ended up walking all around, along princess street and up the mound to the royal mile. Man that was a hike! But it was beautiful up there. We were in love with Scotland.

The next day we slept in a bit and then walked to the train station to hop aboard one of the many hop on hop off busses. We paid one price and were able to us any of the different tour busses throughout the day. First we took the full tour around the city, and then got off at the national museum. I think Hannah liked it more than I did, and I think we somehow managed to miss a binch of stuff. Afterward we wandered around looking for the cafe where jk Rowling sat to write harry potter. There was a kids bday party going on and it was way too crowded. We were starving and they were mostly out of food so we split something and moved on without getting the real effect. I can't even remember what we did next but I'm sure we got some real food at some point. We rode our way up to the castle but didn't go inside. I was cold and starting to feel sick. We had planned to go on an 8pm ghost tour but met up with a guy from mercat tours who had a ghost tour at 7 so we decided to take it as well. It was full of murder and torture stories. Hannah loved it. She wanted to do another one but it was late and we had an early morning the next day so When it was done we walked the long way home and went to bed.

The next day was our Hairy Coo tour to the highlands and around. We went to Stirling and climbed way too far up a steep mountain to the William Wallace monument. It wasn't really with it and made me kinda too worn out to otherbhikes later in the day that I might have liked. The view was nice, but you know, not worth it for me. We saw lots of fantastic scenery, lakes (or lochs) everywhere, moss, ferns and forests. We had a pup lunch in a charming little town and towards the end of the tour caught up with some hairy cows that ate bread from our hands and were fantasticly cute.

It was too late to tour the castle as we had planned when we got back so we decided to go on a tour of the underground Mary King's Close. Very historic and fascinating. In the olden days so many people were crammed into the 1 mile square that was Edinburgh at the time. Hard to imagine.

The next day was our last there. We were slow to get around and didn't do much but visit another pub for lunch before we headed back to the airport for our flight to London. I'm about out of battery now so I'm going to stop here for now and tell you about London later.

No comments:

Post a Comment