Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 5. 9pm

Its dark out. We are in our beds, in our room at our B&B on the Irish island of Inis Mor. We got back here to our room around 5 I think and haven't found the will (or the warmth) to head back out, although our friend Gene headed back to town to find a warm dinner and some Irish speakers a few hours ago. When he left Hannah was fast asleep and I was still to damp and worn out to think about going anywhere.

As usual when its tome to update you, my thoughts feel too scattered and unorganized.

So day 2 must have been Thursday. That day Hannah and I took a day tripbtonthe mountains of Wicklow and the ancient monastic site at Glendalough. It was beautiful and our tour guide/bus driver Stephen was great. We had a pub lunch where Hannah had her first beer. She didn't really like it at all. No, it wasn't a Guiness. That night we went out to find a pub with some traditional music with zero luck which definitely bummed me out. We went to bed too late and too tired.

Morning of day 3 we had to wake up and pack our bags to check out of our hostel. We rented a locker and wandered a few blocks away to the Dublin Archaeology Museum where we saw some fascinating things found in the Irish bogs -- including the perfectly preserved bodies of 3 ancient men. Fascinating and creepy. We both felt kind of sick after looking at them. We decided to go back for our bags and head on over to the train station to grab lunch and wait for our train to Galway.

We had a train situation and had to get off in a town called At Henry (I think) and take a bus the rest of the way to Galway. It was raining pretty seriously when we got there and I was kinda freaking out over several things. Our friend Gene met us at the station and we took a cab to our b&B. At first I was a bit disappointed with it but it later grew on me. I wasn't digging life that night so Gene and his friends invited us out to dinner with them. It was still super rainy. We had a ki d of lovely posh dinner. I had a Risotto and h tried a pork belly she really loved. We got back way too late. Maybe around midnight. I had a bit if a brakedown and had to call home for a bit. Eventually we got to bed around 1am.

We were both much better in the morning. Day 4. Which was what? Yesterday? Wow seems so long ago but yes. Saturday. We had a full Irish breakfast (or Hannah did. I skipped the meat of course) and rode off to catch the coach for our full day trip to the burren and the cliffs of mother and many other fabulous places. It was a fantastic trip, even though our guide wasn't nearly as great as Stephen. We got back around dinner time and stopped by the grocery store on our walk home for a dinner of bread, cheese and candy bars. We packed all up and watched comedy central til we crashed out (which for me was at about 10pm).

Which leads to this morning. We had breakfast early and headed downtown to catch to the bus to Rosavel to catch the ferry to The A ran Islands. The weather was on and off all day but lovely when we got here. We met a wonderful man named Patrick who brought us to our B&B with hid horse Grace and his cart. Then he gave us a ride around the island, stopping at the ancient (1000 Bc) fort of Dun Aengus, which you should look up on Wikipedia because its fascinating, but I'm too tired to actually tell you all about it.

I wish we could have stayed up there a long time but Patrick and Grace were waiting for us so we had to head back. It just started to sprinkle when we were headed back. We had some lunch in a cafe. I had some delicious beef guiness stew. Very yum. Just when we were headed back to our ride it started poring rain with crazy winds. The rain was horizontal and even the locals were saying it was unusually bad. Eventually we headed back anyway, in the freezinf rain and wind. We got soaked. But it was with it. Beautiful and amazing. I only wish we would have had the energy to head back to the village tonight with Gene. In the morning Patrick will pick us up and take us back to town if we want but I kind of hope we head in earlier to check stuff out. We take the noon ferry back to the big island and then its a rush to catch the train back to Dublin where well finally do some laundry and get ready to fly to Scotland the next day!

So love you you all. Having a great time. Don't know when I'll be able to check back in but I promise I will when I can!

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment