Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Previously... 1.13.11

01/13/2011 Travel Thursday

I’ve been looking forward to this day, even though it’s taken me till almost bedtime to get around to it. Today is Travel Thursday. In theory I’ll write about trips from the past as well as what’s coming up, but right now I’m all about the Grandpa trip to Europe with Hannah this fall. Today I’m going to talk about or plans for our first week there.

Day 1 will be all about the flying. We’ll probably leave Kansas City mid morning and get to somewhere on the east coast a few hours later. Then we’ll get on a big plane and fly across the ocean to Dublin, Ireland.

Day 2 is when we’ll get there, probably early in the morning. We’ll take a bus into the city and find our hostel (we’re leaning towards Barnacles Temple Bar or Avalon House). It’ll be too early to check in so we’ll just drop off our bags and take off for the city. We might be sleep deprived, although through the miracle of modern medicine we might actually be able to sleep on the plane. We’ll definitely be jet lagged but we’ll follow Rick Steve’s advice for dealing with jet lag. We’ll stay awake, we’ll get exercise by walking around the city center, and hopefully we’ll get lots of sunshine (although it is Ireland). For dinner we’ll eat at a pub and share a pint (or a half pint) before we head back to fall asleep early.

Day 3 we’ll catch the hop on hop off bus. We’ll hop on and off where it seems good. For sure we’ll check out the hundreds of years old jail. We may or may not take a tour of the Guiness factory. That night we’ll take a pub tour, either the literary or music one before we go to bed.

Day 4 we’ll check out of the hostel and catch a bus across the country to Galway. I think it’s about a 3 hour bus ride. Galway is a much smaller town and I’m excited to see the country side around it. I have no idea where we’ll stay in Galway - a hostel or a B & B, I don’t know yet. But wherever it is we’ll check in there as soon as we arrive and again leave our bags there. That’s the day we’ll walk around and check out the town.

Day 5 we catch a bus for a tour of many things, mainly the Cliffs of Moher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffs_of_Moher), known ad the Ciffs of Insanity to Princess Bride fans. I have been in love with pictures of this place for years and can not wait to visit them myself.

Day 6 we catch a bus and then a ferry to the biggest of the Aran Island, Inis Mor. We’ll wander about and check out very ancient ruins (my favorite kind). There’s a chance we will spend the night on the island, but we’ll probably head back to Galway on the last ferry of the day (at 5:30).

Day 7 we head back to Dublin. I’m not sure what we’ll do but our flight to Edinburgh will leave at 6am on day 8 so we’ll want to be in town so we can make it on time. We’ll stay in the same place we stayed at the beginning of the week.

And there’s week one. Sounds exciting. It’s hard to believe I’m really going to do it, but I guess I am. I guess we are, me and Hannah. In like 8 months. Crazy.

Hooray for Travel Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment