Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Previously... 3.17.11

03/17/2011 I’m going to Ireland.

I am so excited about my upcoming trip I can barely stand it sometimes. Especially today when everyone is thinking about Ireland. I’m going to Ireland! I can’t wait to look at it.
In about 174 days now. I say about because I’m still not sure when we’re leaving exactly, but sometime in the first week of September. Or maybe the end of August if I can work it.

I mentioned we’re leaving out Glastonbury. Kinda sad, because it was certainly the most holy and spiritual place I’ve ever been. And as a big hippy town, it’s a lot like home which is nice after being gone for so long. That gave us a few extra days to do other things. I had thought we’d ride a bus from Galway to Dingle and hang out there for a while, but instead now I think we’ll add a couple day trip/tours.

There’s one from Dublin called the Wild Wicklow tour. It goes through Glendalough. The pictures people have posted from it are unbelieveable. Mountains and waterfalls and stony creeks. Ruins of ancient monasteries. Lunch in a little pub (full of tourists). I think Hannah and I will both love it. I’m very excited to have found it and that we’ll get to check out that part of Ireland.

The second tour I found is more for me than Hannah, but I think she’ll love it too. Plus it helps move us along from Edinburgh to London. It’s a 3 day trip with 2 nights in B&Bs. It covers Hadrian’s wall and the Lake district, the main two places I wanted to add to the trip but wasn’t sure how! Perfect. H will be bored at the wall maybe, but how can she resist the beauty of the Lake District? I hope I’ll have a chance to visit the Wordsworth cottage, but even if we don’t I will love setting my own two eyes on the Lake District. My man Wordsworth called it “the loveliest spot that man hath found”.

I say my man Wordsworth, but it’s really his sister Dorothy that I’m really a fan of. Her journals have been published and they are so very good. I wish I could make Hannah read them before we go, but I can barely get her to clean her spot at the dinner table. I hope I can make myself read it actually. Sometimes I can barely get myself to put my clean laundry away.

Oh wait. That tour is only given twice a month. I might be able to plan our trip so we’re there on the right day, but I also have made plans with a friend to meet up in Galway. I’ll have to check to see if he could change. Drag. I guess that’s a wait and see. It doesn’t really change my overall level of excitement. There’s also the thought that we make a stop in the Lake District on our own.

Whatever happens, and I know it won’t all go smoothly, I am so excited. I can’t believe I get to go. Again. It is going to be so much fun seeing things that are so beautiful and so old and so of historical import. And I hope Hannah will have a great time and it will be the funnest thing we’ve ever done together.

No comments:

Post a Comment